Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
*** Please excuse my terribly bland and awkward blog appearance. I'm working hard on making it look pretty . . . it's QUITE time consuming!! ***

Friday, April 23, 2010

Knock-Off Necklaces

I necklaces, but I've never really made any. Don't ask me why ... I think it's mostly because I'm SUPER DUPER indecisive and I will spend hours (literally) standing in the bead/supply aisle just staring at everything trying to make up my mind. It's soooo annoying, but I can't help it.

So ... the other day I was at the thrift store with Bucket and I decided to pop in to the clothing store next door.


I saw this super cute necklace, then I saw the $12.99 price tag and realized how simple and INCREDIBLYCHEAP it would be to recreate it myself. So, I ran to Joann's for a few supplies and headed home.


All you need is:

  • ribbon *The width you need is dependent on the size of your ribbon clasps*
  • ribbon clasps *You can buy these at the craft store for a few dollars. I got a package with a variety of sized for $2.99*
  • beads *I used an old bracelet that needed to be re-strung because Bucket stretched it out*
  • Jewelry making thread *This picture shows regular clear thread, but TRUST me when I say to spend the $3.00 and buy the plastic-y jewelry thread, it will prevent the necklace from breaking*
  • Chiffon *I first made these using the $6.99/yard Polyester chiffon that is standard at most fabric stores, and it was a MISTAKE!!! Polyester chiffon frays like a son of a gun!! You want to use Nylon Chiffon, it's TONS cheaper and won't fray when you cut it. I wasn't able to find it at ANY of my local fabric stores so I ordered it online here. It was only $1.60/yard. TONS CHEAPER!!! And they have TONS OF COLORS!!


I bought 1 yard of Chiffon and maybe used 1/4 of it, if I even used that much. I traced a lid to an old jar to get the size circle that I wanted, you could use anything you want or freehand it. Then I folded the fabric 4 times, so I wouldn't have to make as many cuts. I pinned the template to the fabric and started cutting. Don't worry if your circles aren't perfectly round, it gives it a more natural look.


Each cut would leave me with a stack of 8 circles, I did this 6 times.


Once again, this picture shows me using regular thread, don't do it unless you have no other options. I quadrupled the thread and looped it through one of my ribbon clasps and put the ends back through the eye of the needle. But since you won't be using thread, all you have to do is tie a few knots with your jewelry thread to secure it to the clasp :)


Now it's time to start beading. Count out how many beads you want to use, the more you use the longer the necklace will be. I used 12 for this first part, but now that it's done I wish I would have only used 7, oh well ...


For this necklace I put my needle straight through the middle of the stack of 8 circles and called it good.


For the other necklaces I folded a few of the circles in half and then put the needle through the middle, right about my thumb. If you fold some of them, it will give you a fuller look. *** You will see what I mean when you look at the finished product.***

I strung 3 beads in between each section of Chiffon circles. After I did all 6 sections, I strung another 12 beads.


I strung the needle through the other ribbon clasp and tied a few knots.



To make sure it was EXTRA sturdy I threaded back through a bead and then knotted it, thread through the next bead and knotted it and I did that 3 or 4 times.

Here she is, almost done!!!



I cut 2 pieces of ribbon at 14" and burned the ends to keep them from fraying. Then I clamped one end in the ribbon clasp, I wrapped the ribbon around the clasp before I clamped it to help protect the metal from getting dented or scratched.

You're done!!!! So easy right?

Now for some finished pictures!!!


I did this one in ivory. I folded EVERY circle in half, it's extra fluffy and full :)


I LOVE how this gray one turned out!! I don't wear much gray, but I LOVE how sophisticated it looks with the gunmetal colored beads!!

Red is my ALL-time favorite color, so I couldn't leave her out!!!



So cute right??!!!! Now I need to work on some sort of jewelry organizer ... it's actually in the works and I will show it to you once my closet is finished. :)

And one more time ... let's compare!!


The original



My version, pretty close right??

And let's break down the cost ... If you buy the chiffon online and only use 1/4 yd that's $.40. Since I bought it at Joann's I spent $1.50. The clasps were $2.99 but I got 12 sets or something so that's $.25 and I already had the ribbon, thread and beads.

Sooo, pretty much this necklace only cost me $1.75!!! And if you are smart and buy the online Chiffon, it's going to cost around $.65, assuming you have the beads, thread and ribbon on hand. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT??!!! I think it looks just as good as the original and it cost a TON LESS!!!

REMEMBER ... Don't use the Polyester chiffon or it will fray EVERYWHERE and get all over your shirt when you wear it, trust me!! You don't want to have to remake them like I did :(

If you love the necklace, but don't want to make one, I'm thinking about putting these up in an ETSY store ... let me know if that sounds like something you would be interested in!!

I'm joining these parties:








Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

11 comments:

  1. Those are so fabulous, i love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are awesome! i made my first knock-off necklace tonight as well. it is still a work in progress. i might have to try that style next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is super cute! I have yet to get any of the "fabric" necklaces that are big now, I may have to try this!!! Great job! ( I love looking at expensive price tags and saying pshhh I could make that ;^) Bet you had one of those moments!!! :^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! Great job! You can actually list them for free on zibbet to try out the market first. http://www.zibbet.com/madeonfifthstreet/sell

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, love these! Way to go for not giving in and spending the money! Thanks for linking up to Saturday Spotlights!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!! I have never heard of ribbon clasps...now I need to go find them.

    Thanks for linking up to Saturday is Crafty Day @ along for the ride! Hope to see you back next week! Also, I've added your blog to my blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute necklaces! Thanks, Jessica, for stopping by my blog & inviting me to your Wednesday parties. I've added it to my link party list. And thanks for adding me to your blog list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You are so... creative and these are super cute! I love them... ALL. :) I'm gonna have to give it a try... Love your blog... I just happened to run across it today and I'm glad I did. Hehe... I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! Open an Etsy store and make me a necklace! ;) Just kidding...but I would buy one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave some love!!